|Steamed Coconut Fish||
Recipe type: Entree
Steamed Coconut Fish is a Cambodian food recipe wrapped in cabbage leaves with spices.
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 inch piece ginger root, grated
- 1 lemon grass stalk, chopped
- 1⁄4 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cayenne or paprika
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 14oz can coconut milk
- 8 cabbage leaves
- 1 lb fish fillets, cubed
- salt to taste
- In a blender or food processor, puree the garlic, onion, ginger, lemon grass, turmeric, cayenne, fish sauce, sugar, and coconut milk. Heat for about 10 minutes in a pan until thickened, stirring.
- Cut out the thick central rib of the cabbage leaves and let the leaves soak in a bowl of boiling water to wilt.
- In a bowl, place the fish and salt them lightly; mix in thoroughly half of the hot coconut-spice sauce.
- Divide the fish mixture into eight portions.
- Place fish mixture in the center of each cabbage leaf and fold the edges over to form parcels. Wrap in foil, sealing tightly.
- Steam parcels for 1 hour in a perforated double boiler. About 10 minutes before parcels are done, reheat the remaining sauce.
- Pour sauce over each parcel as it is opened.