Recipe type: Entree
Spring Rolls are a Cambodian food recipe that are deep-fried and crispy.
- 3 dried black mushrooms
- 3½ oz. cellophane noodles
- 1 egg
- ½ lb. lean ground pork
- ½ lb. lean ground beef
- 1 c. peeled and shredded carrots
- 1 c. fresh bean sprouts, or 1 c. shredded cabbage
- ½ medium-sized onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. fish sauce
- ¾ tsp. ground black pepper
- ½ clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 12-oz. package 8-inch-diameter dried rice paper spring roll wrappers
- vegetable oil for deep-fat frying
- To make the filling, soak black mushrooms in hot water in a small bowl for 15 minutes. Drain well in a colander. Slice mushroom caps thinly and discard the stems.
- Soak noodles in hot water for 4 to 5 minutes. When soft, drain and cut into 2-inch lengths with a sharp knife or scissors.
- In a large bowl, beat egg well. Add sliced mushrooms, softened noodles, pork, beef, carrots, bean sprouts, onion, fish sauce, pepper, garlic, and sugar. Mix well. Set aside.
- To moisten the spring roll wrappers, heat 2 quarts water in a wide pan until hot but not boiling. Take one of the rice paper sheets, holding it by one edge, and dip it in the water for 1 or 2 seconds. The hot water softens it and makes it pliable. Working quickly, take the moistened edge and dip the part you were holding earlier in the water. Be careful. If the rice paper becomes too wet, it tears easily.
- To form spring roll, place ¼ c. of the filling in center of moistened spring-roll wrapper. Fold bottom edges over filling. Fold in the right and left edges so they overlap. Roll up toward top. Place on a plate with top edge under roll. Cover with moist towel until ready to fry. Preparing about six rolls at a time should work well.
- In a large skillet or wok, heat oil over medium heat until it reaches 350°F on deep-fat thermometer. Carefully place 3 rolls in hot oil. Fry slowly for 4 minutes on one side. Turn and fry other side 3 minutes, or until light golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Fried rolls can be kept warm in a 200°F oven.
- Cut each spring roll into bite-sized pieces.