Recipe type: Entree
Vegetarian Pancakes are a Cambodian food recipe of tofu and bean stuffed pancakes.
- 1 cup rice flour
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 11⁄2 cups water
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1⁄4 tsp salt
- 1⁄4 tsp turmeric
- 2 spring onions, finely minced
- 1⁄2 cup mung beans
- 2 cups water
- 1 block firm tofu, mashed
- 1 cup water chestnuts, chopped
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- lettuce leaves
- In a blender, blend rice flour, cornstarch, water, coconut milk, sugar, salt, and turmeric until smooth. Add spring onions. Set aside.
- For filling, boil mung beans in water until tender, for about 25–30 minutes. Drain and set aside. Mix tofu with cooked mung beans, water chestnuts and sauce. In a skillet or wok, heat oil over medium heat. Saute tofu mixture for a couple of minutes; add bean sprouts. Stir-fry for about 3 minutes. Do not overcook bean sprouts. Set aside.
- Heat a nonstick frying pan over medium heat with a small amount of oil. Pour a circle of batter in frying pan, tilting pan from side to side to spread the batter.
- When bubbles appear on the pancake, add a portion of the filling in the center.
- Cover pan for a few seconds until the pancake is golden brown underneath.
- Fold over the pancake to make a half-moon shape. Remove and place on a plate. Keep warm in the oven while the rest is being cooked. Repeat for remainder of batter for about 8 to10 cakes, depending on size of the pan.
- Roll up in lettuce leaves and dip in sweet sauce to eat.